The concept of a Jelly started in New York in February 2006 when a group of friends realised they loved working from home but missed the creative brainstorming, sharing and camaraderie of being in a traditional office.
So, one day a week they started inviting friends round to work from their home – which gave them the best of both worlds. They got the quietness that comes with working on your own mixed with one day a week working alongside new and interesting people – with their new and interesting ideas and conversations.
They made it a regular thing and the Jelly was born.
(apparently it was called “Jelly” as there were Jelly Beans at the first New York gathering!)
The St Albans Jellies
The whole St Albans Businesses idea started at a Jelly so it’s a pretty important part of what we do. So important we have 2 per month.
Anyone can come to our Thursdays Jellies. Nearly all the people who attend the St Albans Jelly are from local businesses. It’s FREE – just bring your laptop and pay for you own food & drink as you go.
We are always amazed at what goes on in terms of business collaborations at the Jellies – and the generosity of those people there who are happy to share their skills and expertise with whoever is attending. There is absolutely no commitment involved in attending – just come and say hello. Stay for an hour or stay all day, it’s up to you.
We find that lots of people who come to the Jelly are working parents who need to do the school runs. They’re perfect for anyone who can’t do the early morning or evening networking events as they have family commitments.
When and Where?
Our main Jelly is usually held on the 3rd Thursday of the month (but if something like Easter or half term gets in the way, we move it) The Jellies are usually held at The King Harry Pub in the snug at the back, 2 King Harry Lane, St Albans, Herts AL3 4BL – from 9am to usually around 3pm – however sometimes we have different businesses that host a jelly, so the venue may change – check the full list of dates and venues below.
What do you call a smaller Jelly???
A Jelly Baby!
Our Jelly Babies are usually held on the last Friday of the month at the Holiday Inn Express in London Colney from 10am and are sometimes “Sugar Coated” meaning we have a speaker who presents on a certain aspect of business (next one is marketing strategies – book here) and we have a discussion to help and support each other in our own businesses.
There’s more space and plenty of chairs & tables – so you can catch up with other TBC members or go and work in a corner area if you need to get some work done or take a call. It’s free for TBC members and £10 to non-members (not yet a member? Take a look at the benefits for you and your business here) and just buy your own drinks & food (sometimes they have a charity cake sale as well).
The Host with the Most
We give registered members of TBC the opportunity to host Jellies both at the King Harry and the Holiday Inn Express. Being a host means welcoming people, making sure that any new visitors don’t get swamped/lost/overwhelmed and giving out our lovely magnets to people who haven’t got them. Some hosts take the opportunity at lunchtime to say a little about what they do – we’ve had mini-mindfulness, 30 second introductions, Christmas carols – all sorts!
Hosting a Jelly costs £35. For that we’ll promote the fact you are hosting across our social media channels – mentioning both you and your business. You’re very welcome to do a little presentation around lunchtime about what you do, share a Facebook live into the TBC groups and have any of your products or merchandise available for people to peruse/buy/enjoy.
You can book your hosting slot in the member’s shop.
Next St Albans Jelly Dates
9am – 2pm – usually at the King Harry Pub, in the snug at the back, King Harry Lane, St Albans, AL3 4BL but check venue for each month below
- 14th November – hosted by Claire Flawn at Rothamsted Enterprises and will be held in Rothamsted Restaurant – West Common, Harpenden, Hertfordshire, AL5 2BG – plenty of FREE parking! Book your free ticket here
- 12th December – the festive jelly at The King Harry – hosted by Shaifta of Accentuate Beauty
- 16th January – hosted by Claire Flawn at Rothamsted Enterprises and will be held in Rothamsted Restaurant – West Common, Harpenden, Hertfordshire, AL5 2BG – plenty of FREE parking!
- 13th February – hosted by Kelly Ballard at Mercure Noke Hotel – plenty of FREE parking!
- 12th March
- 16th April – hosted by Claire Flawn at Rothamsted Enterprises and will be held in Rothamsted Restaurant – West Common, Harpenden, Hertfordshire, AL5 2BG – plenty of FREE parking!
- 14th May
- 18th June
- 16th July – hosted by Claire Flawn at Rothamsted Enterprises and will be held in Rothamsted Restaurant – West Common, Harpenden, Hertfordshire, AL5 2BG – plenty of FREE parking!
- 13th August
- 17th September
- 15th October
- 12th November – hosted by Claire Flawn at Rothamsted Enterprises and will be held in Rothamsted Restaurant – West Common, Harpenden, Hertfordshire, AL5 2BG – plenty of FREE parking!
- 17th December – Festive Jelly
Next Jelly “Baby”* dates are all at The Holiday Inn Express Colney Fields Shopping Park, Shenley, St Albans AL2 1AB – all welcome – FREE to TBC members, £10 to non members:
- Friday 6th December
- Friday 31st Jan
- Friday 28th Feb – Jackie Forster will be leading a Q&A on office support, i.e. xero, customer care, processes – open to questions on any admin/office support questions you have
- Friday 27th Mar
- Friday 3rd April
- Friday 1st May – Diane Secker will be leading a discussion about HR in our businesses
- Friday 5th June
- Friday 31st July
- Friday 28th August
- Friday 4th Sept – Tracy Baum Coaching will be leading a discussion about coaching and support for each other
- Friday 30th Oct
- Friday 27th Nov
- Friday 4th Dec
We also have Jellies in Enfield and Bedfordshire
Find your Enfield Jellies HERE
Find your Bedfordshire Jellies HERE